Manihiki Magic - Do you know how to make an island shirt?

Tukao Village performing their Hymn on Consitution Day, Tukao, Friday 4th August 2017


In Manihiki, you can't just call the guy. Not to fix your bike nor to deliver food! Manihikians would have to be among the most resourceful people in the world, where "do it yourself" is an understatement! Create, make, fix, redo, maintain, renovate, with not much new and few recycled parts. Impressive!

Luckily the sense of community in Manihiki is extremely strong which allows everyone to help out and share their knowledge to profit the whole village(s). Though there are a few skills that most of the people have, or are expected to have. And shirt making... is one of them.

So when Winnie, the pre-school teacher, dropped off some pareu material I was a bit puzzled. I asked her what it was for and she casually told me that Cultural Day was coming up and kids needed uniforms. The event would take place in Tauhunu the following week, where both Manihiki schools and Rakahanga school will meet for a celebration day of traditional dancing, singing and drumming. Apii Tukao, our village school, will be wearing brown.

OK, so, uh, where do I start? How could they expect a young French woman to be able to sew garments! Well, for their defense, I do travel with my sewing machine as I have a side business sewing clutches and purses. But there is a big difference between tailoring clothes (to the right size!) or making little bags with off cuts. So here I am with my pareu material. I could probably play the papa'a (visitor) card and ask one of the mamas to sew the uniforms on my behalf. But no, new home, new habits, new skills. I can tackle this challenge, and what better way to learn! 

I did tell you Courtney's necklace was massive! And that Charlie was so cute :) As for me, I am rocking my rito hat, generous farewell from St Anne's Parish in Manihiki. Forever grateful!


I decided to ask Rua next door to show me how to proceed. She offered for Jemina, her daughter who lives in Tauhunu, to make Yann's shirt but I politely declined as I wish to learn. This is a skill that might not need to go on my CV but that I will definitely be proud of! But for here, making a shirt is like clicking on amazon.com for us. 

Rua was proud to show me how to cut and sew a shirt. In the end, it is all pretty straight forward but there are a couple of tricks that avoided me a few disastrous mistakes! Not that Yann would really realize what he wears (though he always asks to wear his monster T-shirt!) or how nice his shirt looks... But I do! 

Front x2 - So far so good
Back x1 - Easy one
Sleeves x2 - In theory that's what they look like...


Collar x1  - Could have been deeper in the middle and have more angle on the ends...




Pocket x1 - If possible with a flower or nice motive

 
So Rua cuts, explains and pins. I start sewing, a bit shaky, one piece at a time, trying to remember every step. "See, that's it! she says. It's easy!". Phew, almost... After an hour and a half a liter of sweat, time to admire my first piece! A few flaws, but Yann's shirt is... functional! A front, a back, a collar, two short sleeves and 4 buttons. Done! Yann, 2 1/2 years old, expresses his admiration in his best Germano-Frenglish: "Maman, das is my chemise? Wow!". Thank you my little man for your unconditional love!

Well Helina, if you are wearing sunnies, me too!


Now it is time for Charlie's dress. On this piece, I am on my own... No stress though, this is not a must, just an extra. One of the perks of having a baby girl is playing dolls! First trial was also functional! Wrong size though... Doll size indeed! Let's try again. Second trial was the one. And as I was so happy with it, I even decided to make myself a big flower to put in my hair. Just in case I would get lost in the crowd, someone could point me to the right crowd with matching uniform! 

The girls band before the big happenings


Now, this was already a few weeks ago. So in order to make sure that my newly learnt skills were not forgotten, I was given even more pareu material last week for the Constitution celebrations. This time blue. And this time for the whole family... And for Courtney. Five uniforms to sew!!!... Where do I start??? Luckily Mama Jane held a Shirt Making Workshop for the few mamas, well, rather ladies!, who also didn't know how to cut and/or sew an island shirt. Forever grateful Jane, Meitaki!

Yann also rocking his Rito hat, as well as his special shirt!


Result... Yann was wowing his shirt and wearing with pride. Charlie looked super cute, and she knew it (!) even with a flower head band matching her dress (yes, I somehow had to do it!). Tim had to keep his arms down - the sleeves went surprisingly a bit wrong... But made with French love, I am sure this shows! Courtney kinda looked like a nurse - but lucky she was covering the flaws with a massive mother of pearl & rito necklace. And I looked nothing like a wow designer... But I also had a functional dress on. And guess?! I also had  a flower to match my daughter's!

Happy! That's the look of confidence. It's all in the shirt!


This was a great experience. Meitaki Korereka Manihiki for challenging me and sharing your skills! Now, will you really expect me to know how to weave a Rito hat???

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Auftakt Cook Island Games 2020

Im Paradies steht die Zeit still - 365 Tage im Luxusstrandhotel

Manihiki Magic - THE best coconut crab in the world!